Sunday, July 27, 2008

Capturing Scenes from an Urban Classroom


Although I am often asked what "it must have been like" to work as a public school teacher in Baltimore City for two years, I rarely, if ever, am able to capture the full range of emotions in my response. So, when one of my great friends from Baltimore (Greta B.) shared a link to an article she had published on the topic, I was excited to read it. I figured it would be a nice walk down memory lane. Well, I never knew what an amazing writer Greta is - and in the span of her article, I found my head spinning with emotions as I not only walked down memory lane, but had the opportunity to turn over every rock, ring every door bell and check out every house along the lane!

It truly is an exceptional piece of prose and I encourage every single one of you to read it. You can read it by just clicking here. You will be blown away! And for those of you whom I never gave an appropriate response to in the past regarding my time in Baltimore, please know that reading this article will more than make up for my past inability to provide you with more than general platitudes about the challenges.

In case the above link doesn't work, you can access the article at this web address:
http://www.theotherjournal.com/article.php?id=364

1 comment:

  1. Great article "Capturing Scenes from an Urban Classroom" Thanks for sharing it! It was well written and gave so much insight to what teachers in inner city schools have to deal with on a daily basis. My sincere thanks to you and other Teach for America participants who try and make a difference. You are thrown into battle fields much like a soldier in the military, except with little or no training. Many of you should be awarded purple hearts for your many acts of bravery & compassion. God Bless you ~ no foreign language translation needed! lol

    ReplyDelete