Thursday, July 3, 2008

"I'm a Hot Mama!"

The words of my mother: "I'm a Hot Mama" describing the fire we were all breathing out after some very VERY spicy Indian food. After a long, hard day of taking the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exam), we had gone out for dinner to celebrate the achievement.

With my mom's statement, we kicked off a wonderful evening of just relaxing and trying to figure out what the heck was in the food we were eating! And I decided that the best way to chronicle all these little events in my life - some that I will remember on my own, but most that I will most certainly forget - would be to kick off my own blog. I have always admitted to being behind the curve when it comes to new technology - I figure starting a blog now puts me somewhere in the middle of the pack!

Not that I haven't "blogged" before - but it was called journaling before! Indeed, I journal/blogged throughout my whole first year teaching in Baltimore City Public School System, as part of Teach for America. That was in 2004. Since then, journaling is SO out and "blogging" apparently is SO in. Indeed, when I look back and read some of my journal entries, I'm surprised at how much I've forgotten - and at how much I truly enjoyed teaching.

So as I move firmly into another chapter of my life, blogging seems to be a good way to do it. And my family and friends can leave messages and start whole discussions on here! AND I won't need to fill your inbox with all my e-mails updating you on my adventures. You can just check here to see the latest! Should be exciting...and dangerous :)

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a medical student now. I finished my second year and had to take that big test I mentioned earlier. 350 questions - all computerized - 7 blocks of one hour each with a one hour break to spread between all the blocks. You walk out of the testing center feeling like your brain has been put through a meat grinder and it is all you can do to make it to your car, to your house, and plop onto your bed and go to sleep. Well, that and eat really spicy Indian food.

So I welcome anyone who is interested to my blog. I hope you will bookmark it and visit often. My goal right now is to post at least once a week. Sometimes more. My goal is to chronicle my experiences as I go through the 3rd and 4th year of clinical medicine. So for anybody interested in medical school, please let me know any questions you might have! And for my family, as always, I love getting your advice - so please share with all of us!

And as an immediate bonus - I will be going to Armenia from July 7-14. I look forward to chronicling that experience on here, along with pictures - so for those of you interested in my adventures in Armenia next week, stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. It is 2330 hours and Bruce and Pam Lackey(Ritchie Trucking) just left. They were here in Oregon for a few days on business and parked there 40 foot motor coach not far from our vacation home.
    HE LEFT WITH $28 OF MY MONEY IN A GIN GAME.
    Babara just went to bed, joined by our two new Schnoodles.
    We go back to Fresno on the 10th and then AZ on the 14th. Barbara needs to report to school on the 16th as she is now a mentor. I'll try to hook up with you mom and Medz.
    Loveyour blog.
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is 2115 hours here in Surprise, AZ. We jusst returned from the dog park here at Sun City Grand. Our two mutts run crazy and bark at dogs three times their size.
    We had a thunder, lightening and downpour show at 3 this morning. It is the mosoon season here for a few months.
    Your mom Barbara is back to school as a 6th grade writing teacher. She loves the classroom and said if it was to be all over again she would have never been an administrator.
    Did you get the crosses from hyestan? By the way, my license plate is OZHYE.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete