Monday, September 8, 2008

And Another Reason Elementary School is Winning Me Over

Reason #3,538 why elementary age kids are slowly but surely winning my heart and turning me into a convert: they go "did you say c-r-a-p right now? That is not very nice!"

Yes, I told the class today that soda was "a bunch of crap that you shouldn't drink." The message against soda was lost because after the word "crap" my miniature charges became wide eyed and open-jawed in amazement that a teacher would have the audacity to, GASP, cuss!!! I apologized and said since I usually teach middle/high school that I missed the memo not to use that word. Little Cerina told me it is ok, but "don't do it again!"

On a side note, I have learned that early third grade curriculum includes:
  • Types of sentences. (this would be a statement, therefore ending in a period.)
  • Syllables (did you know the VCCV rule helps you determine where to split up a word to figure out how many syllables it has? Try this word: Camped
  • Rounding numbers: 3,538 reasons converted to the nearest ten?
  • Simple Addition. If 4+3=7 then 3+4=7

This all begs the question: at what point are we losing these beautiful, curious, academically courageous, inter-personally gracious, absolutely awesomely adorable kids to street life and anti-school culture? It makes me want to have the ability to take a class of kids and work with them from first grade through sixth grade (I'll leave kindergarten to souls braver than I). I want to make sure we build such a strong interpersonal relationship that I can then follow them from middle school through high school and all the way to college to ensure they make it onward and upward without hiccups.

That being said, I must make absolutely clear that these last several days in elementary schools, I have had the honor and absolute pleasure of observing and learning from some of the most amazing educators I have ever met. The faculty at Slater Elementary School, at least in the sphere of 2nd and 3rd grade teachers whom I have met, is unarguably stellar. The kids adore them and with good reason; they really are top notch. So, the problem is not the teachers.

In my opinion, all that leaves is the corruptive brand of American poverty that places higher value on materialism (nice possessions now) as opposed to the long-term value of learning. Give me my fish now as opposed to teach me how to fish so I can forever enjoy the fruits of my own labor.

I don't know about you, but I want our kids back.

No comments:

Post a Comment