Thursday, September 25, 2008

Judgment Day Has Arrived

11:34 pm: Man, am I glad this day has finally arrived...and passed! I feel confident, I feel happy, and most of all, I feel SUPER EXCITED about putting USMLE Step 1 behind me and being able to start my third year of medical school. It is going to be much more real now - I have been looking forward to this year since day one of medical school. Why? Because third year means I get to be in a hospital. It means I get to learn hands-on instead of only from reading books and listening to lectures. It means I get to work side by side with consummate professionals, all with one goal - save a life, help improve a life, guide a person to health. What could be better?!?!

I want to sincerely thank all of you who have been sending your prayers and well wishes! My success is due to support and love and encouragement - so THANK YOU! In the meantime, while I wait for scores to arrive, I am busy planning a pretty exciting couple of weeks to relax, rejuvenate, see people I haven't seen in many many months and pump myself up for what is to come. Here is a sneak peek of my upcoming schedule:

September 29 - October 7: Los Angeles
--Visit will include trip to Thousand Oaks and Pasadena
October 8 - October 15: Seattle
--Visit will include being an utterly giddy tourist in a foreign land and checking out the sites with my friends from Teach for America who now live in the area!
October 15 - October 19: Los Angeles
--Visit will include trip to Whittier and attending Whittier College's Alumni Weekend

If I'm coming to your area, please get in touch with me - I would LOVE to see you!

5:30 pm:
I'm done!!!! I'm back at home now, feeling quite confident. In fact, I feel downright giddy and excited. There were many more questions this time where I felt like I knew what was going on - that was because I obviously had more time to study the last two months, but also because, due to the luck of the draw, I was given lots more questions that were straight forward this time around. Here is one example for those of you who know:

"In what organ is Angiotensin 1 converted to Angiotensin 2?"

Yes, I'm not exaggerating. That was a question this time. I didn't have ANY questions like that last time (by the way, the answer is the lung). This is what I would unequivocally call a "God-send question"!!!

So now, the waiting game begins. USMLE people officially state that we get results "within six weeks" - they tend to under-promise and over-deliver so we are all happy in the end when we get results within around 3-5 weeks. I feel happier and more confident this time around - and I look forward to starting clinicals pretty soon. That being said, PLEASE continue to send good thoughts and prayers!! I will continue to need them!

7:55 am:
Elvis has left the building. I'm heading out - time to make this ish happen! If you happen to stumble upon this blog right now, PLEASE say a little prayer for me!

7:15 am: I woke up about 30 minutes ago without the help of the alarm clock. My heartbeat was a bit fast and I felt pumped - something that never (NEEVVVVER) happens at 6:45 in the morning. I took care of some personal business (ahem), reviewed a couple more odds and ends and am now about to hop in the shower. I feel different this time as I get ready to jump into the hot seat again to retake the USMLE. I KNOW I'm not going to miss it by 3 points this time - I KNOW I'm going to PASS it this time by many points.

I'm pumped, I'm excited, I'm ready to make this happen today.

4 comments:

  1. is it time to make sure ur liver works?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats buddy! Deh yallah, yeleer New York yegoor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡¡¡HOVIG!!! Congratulations, I'm sure you did great. Wow, I hope I get some questions like your angiotensin one...I'm shocked they have questions like that!
    Good job buddy, let me know where you are headed next

    ReplyDelete