Friday, September 12, 2008

On the Subject of Quality Teachers

Every education study and article on reform mentions that one of the key ingredients in student success is having a top-notch, quality educator leading the class.

My heart broke today, listening to a promising young student-teacher describe how disillusioned she is with teaching, the "system" and all the pressures she feels to focus solely on test scores at the expense of any sort of rich learning experience for the kids. I listened to her while student's in the last period class for which I subbed and for which she is the student-teacher, worked; and it broke my heart that somebody who had dedicated years to becoming a teacher was suddenly seeking to be anything but.

We spoke at length and I did my best to offer her suggestions for schools where she would feel happier - like Charter or Private schools who may have less challenging students. But even as I offered those suggestions, I looked over my freshman charges and felt blessed - they were all quietly working, most were struggling trying to read a fairly sophisticated story, but were at least trying, especially when I walked around and did my best to cheer them on to achieve great things. These were not advanced academic or GATE kids - they were basic level Freshman in a basic level English class. And, as is often the case with my thinking, I just felt they were figuratively SCREAMING for help and for a teacher to challenge them and push them and do their best to interest them in something, anything!

And then I got hit with a one-two-punch:
1. this student-teacher said that she enjoys creating and implementing curriculum and learning experiences, but doesn't really care for working with the kids. (My response: excuse me?!?!)
2. she offered very little to no encouragement to the kids as they worked. She was not acting like their cheerleader, something these kids absolutely need!

And so, I had an epiphany - not every person should be a teacher. We encourage anyone who expresses interest in becoming a teacher to pursue it and we have such a shortage of great teachers that we go too far and accept anybody into the profession. But I must advocate that we stop this practice. To be an effective teacher, you have to have "it" - that indescribable something that allows you to connect with students, explain difficult concepts in understandable ways, put aside your own pride and be a cheerleader who employs every possible effective tool at his/her disposal to ensure kid success! Education schools can teach you techniques to effectively apply the "it", but if you don't have the "it" in the first place, "it" is not something that schools can teach you! You should NOT be a teacher! Please find a different profession because our kids deserve better.

In other news: my first two periods were Seniors - about 45 to a class. Again, not the AP or Honors class, but regular level. And yet, when pushed, they performed. When challenged, they achieved. When told to strive for something higher, they rose. I told each of the two classes (the High School I was at has block schedules, so 2 classes of hour and half each) that they were definitely at the top of the list of students I have met who impress me and make me want to keep working in the field. They didn't let excuses about life get in the way of them continuing to work hard and step up to the challenges and excel.

And kudos to their regular teacher, who invigorates them and piques their interest (the teacher I was subbing for today, whom I have not met). The articles he left today for us to work on were very interesting and relevant to their lives - and it showed in increased student interest, attendance, and general happiness. I pray they will continue to make life choices that guide them toward further and greater successes!

Today, indeed, was a great day.

1 comment:

  1. So true, Mr. A. So true. I hear you might be heading this way for a visit...!

    ReplyDelete