Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Things That Make You Go...WOW!

I am not easily moved. I am an easy laugher, but I'm not easily moved. Today, however, I have been moved emotionally a couple times. I'm not sure if I should post this chronologically from first experience to now or if I should just describe what I'm seeing right now. I think I'll try the latter to capture all the vividness of the experience as it happens.

I am at the Edgewater Hotel at the waterfront of Seattle. To my left is the city skyline in all its glory. The ferry just departed its pier to shuttle folks to the island across the Puget Sound...which I'm currently sitting over on my deck in the hotel. (Pictures later). The water is gently rolling across in a somewhat calm and constant way. On my iTunes I am playing a song called Waltz of the Titans by Duke Levine - it has a very contemporary and cool slow jazzy beat to it - very Seattle Coffeehouse like, fitting for the occasion. And obviously, I'm at quite possibly one of the most beautiful - and yes, moving - places in the world. If I look a bit to the right of the city skyline I see beautiful Mt. Rainier covered in snow, with one half of its snow covered peak shining brightly due to God coloring it a gorgeous deep crimson from the sun. Which brings me over to the far right of my view - as I slowly move my eyes over the relaxing water, I have to start squinting as the sun has come pretty far down as it prepares for its setting into the Puget Sound, behind some other gorgeous rolling hills. The ferries from earlier are now crossing the bright shadow in the water the sun is casting. I am heated all over my body by this amazing sun that makes me forget how nippy Seattle can be - I am reminded as I type, however, that it is still kind of cold outside as my fingers protest having to do strenuous work whilst in this temperature.

And as I wait for a sunset, I am at peace. I am fully relaxed. I am taking deep breaths and enjoying this immense beauty that God has blessed me to see. A seagull actually just landed on my porch and is looking at me funny - wondering why I'm in his territory. But he seems to accept the fact and is just amused by my funny appearance, no doubt. But even this seagull is looking out at the sun and the beautiful Puget Sound and marveling in its full glory. He actually now just flew down, spreading his wings wide and diving into the water - hope he caught something yummy!

It is hard to capture the essence of the beauty I am witnessing in this blog. And even though a picture is worth a thousand words, even it won't be able to capture the holistic experience - the smells, the sounds, the feel of the heat, the movement of the water - the picture will capture one aspect and only one moment in time. But this feeling will no doubt last forever as a wonderful memory.

And with that, it is time to devote my full attention to the sunset that is fast approaching. It too will be a moving experience. Added to the moving experience of the exhibit of Christian art and history at the Seattle Art Museum. Added to the feeling overall of my week in Seattle of relaxation, fun, and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment