Friday, November 21, 2008

Did You Know!

It has been a while since the Did You Know segment has made an appearance on my blog and some of you have complained about this. I apologize - chalk it up to being distracted by so many other things in New York! :)

Today's Did You Know is actually a very simple one, but so extremely important. I am currently doing my Family Medicine rotation and have found that the majority (not all, but majority) of patient cases revolve around diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, general aches and pains, run of the mill colds/fevers, and stomach aches.

Therefore, DID YOU KNOW that if you lose just 10% of your current weight (if you are overweight, which I definitely am and many Americans seem to be as well) you can significantly reduce your risk of hypertension and all the terrible risks associated with that (most significantly, a heart attack!) So, I'm issuing a weight loss challenge to all of us. I need to lose about 40 pounds (especially because my insurance, I just found out, upped the price of my insurance by 25% because I'm considered high risk due to my weight!!!!!). I know that there are others of us who read the blog who need to lose weight, so let's all support each other. We will be each other's cheer leaders and motivation.

As a first step, I am now officially signed up at my new gym here in NYC, I got a great deal on some starter trainer packages, and I'm ready to return to a healthy weight. Just remember - it is not just about the weight NUMBER - this is a lifestyle decision to eat and live healthier. God calls upon us to take care of our bodies - it is our temple and a gift from Him. So, here goes!

NOW YOU KNOW!

3 comments:

  1. Bravo Hovig! I accept your challenge! ;)

    But seriously folks, the man speaks the truth. The consequences of obesity are before my eyes daily. I do not wish it on anyone and hope you take the challenge very seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray!!!!

    You are the first (and so far only) person to join NK! :)

    Let the weight lossing BEGIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to accept your challenge too! Sounds like hard work, but definitely rewarding. Thanks for continuing to inspire us!

    ReplyDelete