Friday, November 28, 2008

What Do You Do, Exactly??

I get asked this question all the time: "Hovig, what exactly is it that you do in your 'rotations'?"

An excellent question for an outside observer. Here is the quick answer: as a medical student, a whole lot and a whole lotta nothing all at the same time. Sure, I see patients all day, interview them, get their story on paper, check all their vitals and do a physical exam, give shots if needed, then report all this to the Doctor. In this sense, I do quite a bit throughout the day.

But in reality, I don't do anything - everything I do is determined by the Doctor. I don't make any decisions - just carry them out! In this sense, my brain isn't all that tired by the end of the day because I don't really have to come up with the correct diagnosis, proper treatment regimen and worry if I got it all right.

Of course, what we actually do as students can still be quite taxing. And for a GREAT and hilarious run down with lots of specifics, I suggest you check out my friend Nareg's posting on the subject by clicking here. It pretty much captures what we "do" during the day. The only difference between him and me: I don't drink coffee - at all. The man goes through jugs of it. I don't touch it. Other than that, I have all the same books (since I'm in Family Medicine right now and he is actually in Internal Medicine, he told me the books I should get before I do Internal, hence, we have the same books!) Enjoy the read!

2 comments:

  1. Have you mastered the technique of giving the patient a shot that doesn't even hurt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I gave a few shots to children this past week. My "technique" involves asking them to look the other way and describe what they see. As they do that, I give the shot quick like then ask them to turn back around. I then ask, "OK, we're done!"

    So far, not a single scream or complaint from the kids, so I must be doing something right :)

    ReplyDelete