Thursday, December 18, 2008

Quotables


"You just can't fix stupid."
-Andrea

When I was a teacher, I was good at it. Actually, I was REALLY AWESOME! But, I also had a slightly different style - one that was much more straight forward and less PC. My students appreciated it and it allowed me to be more "real". Therefore, I always used to tell my students: "I'm not going to lie to you: there IS such thing as a stupid question."

To prove my point, here are some real examples, heard in my classroom when I was a teacher and from some of my patients now that I play doctor during the day. Lord knows we will keep trying to bring the light of intelligence to the world, one student and one patient at at time. But, I must agree with Andrea - sometimes, you just gotta throw your hands in the air and just shake your head. Enjoy!

Example 1:
Teacher says: Put everything away now.
Student asks: Mr. A, when can we put our stuff away?

Example 2:
Teacher says: You may not talk right now because you should be listening.
Student asks: Maaaaaaaan, why can't we talk??!!??

Example 3 (no, really, this happened):
Patient asks: You mean, being overweight is not healthy?

3 comments:

  1. Here's one from my life, last week.
    After I talked for about 10 minutes about how the essay needed to be multi-paragraph, and what each paragraph should cover, and wrote an outline on the board with three distinct body paragraphs.
    Kid: "Does this need to be a multi-paragraph essay?"
    Me: "Class Raise your hand if you recall me mentioning that this should have multiple paragraphs."
    (all hands but one go up.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LKT -
    sooooo classic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to convince a patient that shingles was, in fact, not an STD. Some battles are lost before they begin. He still believes he "caught" shingles. I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete