Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Tale of Two Airlines - Part 2

This is part 2 in a series about how US Airways was not nice to me, whereas Delta Airlines was a very pleasant flying experience. Enjoy!

Part 2 - How Many US Airways Agents Does It Take...

When last we spoke, our story's hero had finally made arrangements with US Airways to book a trip with rewards points in January. Since that phone call, he went online and purchased 4,000 miles for $80 in order to have a total of 37,500 miles in his account with which to book the flight that was on hold for him until December 3, 2009. That is where we pick-up the story.

Thursday, December 3, 2009:
Assuming this would be a quick deal - just call, give the confirmation code, pay with miles, and call it a confirmed trip - I called US Airways about one and a half hours before I had to be in class. I figured the first agent wouldn't quite understand English and would be confused, but I figured all s/he had to do was finalize the booking.

Agent #1 (Agent #3 overall since I started the booking on Monday): I gave her my confirmation code and, of course, was put on hold. About 5 minutes later she returned to inform me that she could not find the booking, that it had, in fact, "expired" yesterday, and she needed my point of departure. OH NO NO NO NO - this is not happening. After some back and forth, she made it quite clear that my old confirmation code was no longer functional and that we would have to rebuild the itinerary. I grumbled, but finally gave in. I told her all the flights were the same, just use the itinerary already on your computer from the "expired" confirmation code. She assured me she could not do this. OK, FINE! I'm leaving from Fresno going to Newark through Las Vegas on Flight xxx. Hold please.
Agent: "Hmm, I can't find that flight number from Fresno to Newark."
Me: "Because the flight goes through Vegas."
Agent: "But you said you wanted to go to Newark. Now you want Vegas?"
Me: "Is this a joke? Like really, am I being recorded somewhere?"
Agent: "Mmm, pardon sir? I don't understand."
Me: "Exactly, you don't understand and I can't deal with this anymore. Please kindly transfer me to a Supervisor who does understand. Please."

Hold Please (story of my US Airways flight booking life).

Agent #2 (Agent #4 overall): Hello, how may I help you. I explain everything and tell him he should be able to find the flights from the booking code that should NOT be expired, but is. Hold Please. Oh by the way, we are now about 35 minutes into this lovely encounter. He finally returns about 10 minutes later (hence, 45 minutes into this lovely encounter) to say he has rebuilt the flights and that the total will be 50,000 miles.
Me: "Excuse me??? Umm, ya no, that is a mistake. The agent on Monday informed me the total was 37,500 - I specifically asked her to confirm that, because I went and purchased 4,000 miles for $80."
Agent: "No, she was wrong. It has to be 50,000 miles because your outbound flight ticket is 25,000 miles and since you are flying on airlines other than US Airways, even though in the same alliance, we must book the whole ticket on the higher mile round-trip; hence, 50,000 miles."
Me: Umm, no. On the Continental Airlines website I can book this exact flight for 37,500. AND, your agent told me I could book this ticket for 37,500 on Monday. Why else would I go purchase 4,000 miles?? Does it make sense that I would spend $80 for 4,000 miles if I had been told it was actually 50,000 miles total instead of 37,500??
Agent: Sorry. It is 50,000 miles.
Me: That is unacceptable.
Agent: Would you like this ticket or not?
Me: Yes I want it, for the 37,500 that was promised me on Monday!!!
Agent: That is not possible.
Me: Kindly transfer me to another agent. NOW!

Hold Please.

Agent #3 (overall, Agent #5 for those keeping a running tally): This agent actually was sans identifiable accent! Dare I say, an agent in the Americas? Could it be?? I again explained the whole situation to him. His response? A lecture on policies and how I should have learned the policy about purchasing miles before I purchased them. Umm, excuse me - please kindly stop lecturing me. I know what the policy is, but I also know what was promised to me. Why is the policy so firm, but the promises your agents make and the information they share is so wobbly and shaky and unreliable?
Agent: The policy is firm.
Me: The only policy you should follow is HONESTY - something your agents do NOT follow.
Agent: Would you like this ticket?
Me (incredulous at this point): NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT! I don't HAVE 50,000 miles. I have 37,500 miles in my account because that's what was promised to me! I'm beyond frustrated with you people at this point!!!

And here is where the story can be quickly brought to an end. Realizing I was getting no where with any of these agents, I decided to cut my losses. We were able to find another flight that was available at the 12,500 point level; the only reason I hadn't chosen this flight in the first place is that it is the last flight of the night and goes through San Francisco late at night, and I was very worried about the possibility of weather problems. But, when you have no other choice and you are trying to save money, you do what you gotta do and hope for the best.

US Airways - I know that at least ONE person who works for you has to have a conscience and will realize that I was wronged here and will AT LEAST return my $80 (you can take back the 4,000 miles - I don't need them!). Take this opportunity to do the right thing and I promise I will bring you positive publicity (believe me, all my friends - 100s of them - call me for airline advice because I'm such an airline dork!).

Well, I never like to end on a sour note, so in my next installment of "A Tale of Two Airlines" we will talk about my POSITIVE flying experience on Delta Airlines - the "New" Delta Airlines as they call themselves. I flew them from LAX to NYC in late October and returned last week from NYC to Fresno (flying Delta from JFK to LAX then American Eagle to FAT). Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I love reading your stuff about flying. You really do know your stuff. I haven't flown US Airways in a while and I am pretty sure I won't be anytime soon after hearing this! Just a suggestion, does Fresno have a consumer complaints desk? The newspaper out of Portland (The Oregonian) has a consumer complaint desk that will help with situations like this, even calling the companies (local, national or whatever) and trying to get things straightened out. You should check into that, it is only $80 but you shouldn't have to call it a wash just yet...

    ReplyDelete