Saturday, January 23, 2010

How's the Hotel: Comfort Suites Downtown - Buffalo, NY

I recently was in Buffalo on business and had the opportunity to stay at the Comfort Suites Downtown. To sum up the experience in one word: phenomenal.

Check-In: B-
Room Functionality: A+
Bed: A+
Bathroom: A
Fitness/Pool: A for Fitness; No pool.
Location: A+
Overall:
A
Recommended: YES!!

If I tried to book a room in New York City like the one at Comfort Suites in Buffalo, it would have cost me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. This was a top-notch suite! The hotel apparently just finished renovations and they did a smashing job - I was beyond impressed. The suite was a true one-bedroom suite with a living room/work area and separate bedroom. The living room/work space was large and also included a nook with fridge, microwave, and coffee/tea maker. All the counters were marble and the room had nice earthy tones that made it feel very relaxing. There was tons of functional work space as well as relaxation space on comfortable chairs/sofas.

The bedroom was superb. It was connected to the living room via small french doors. The bed was very comfortable with a nice comforter. There was also a little sitting area that connected you to the bathroom. You could also access the bathroom from the living room via separate door.

Both rooms had TVs, which I was pretty surprised were OLD SCHOOL when I walked in. They worked, but they didn't fit with the rest of the ultra modern and chic decor. I asked about this and it turns out US Customs has held up the shipment of flat screens. Some rooms have flat screens, but the remainder were held up for lack of paperwork. That stinks because those TVs are the final link to a complete and very VERY well-done renovation that had me wishing I could stay at a Comfort Suites like the one in Buffalo everywhere I travel!

And the BEST part was that this hotel was inexpensive. It was the cheapest I found in downtown that still offered free airport shuttle and even breakfast (a delicious buffet with eggs, ham, cereal, waffles, juice).

My only recommendation for improvement is the airport shuttle. It was OK, but my main gripe is that they were not on time. They picked me up almost 20 minutes late and on the day I returned to the airport, left almost 15 minutes after the stated departure time. This is not OK; it is way too cold to be waiting outside for a shuttle at the airport for that long. And on the way back to the airport, I had left plenty of time, but if I was cutting it close, those 15 minutes make a big difference. I would recommend the hotel work on this - the shuttle should really run like clockwork.

Would I stay here again - most definitely yes!

3 comments:

  1. Hovig!

    You crack me up my friend! Do you have a San Diego hotel recommendation by chance?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well you got me there Shannon. I haven't stayed at a hotel in San Diego since 1999! However, as always, I recommend checking up hotels on TripAdvisor. Once you find a hotel you like, just type it into a google search and add "reviews" at the end. Usually, a link to TripAdvisor for that hotel will be on the first links to pop up and you can get really candid feedback and even traveler photos of the hotel.

    Let me know where you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY Buffalo! Ben will be sooo pleased...:)

    ReplyDelete