Monday, January 11, 2010

How's the Hotel - Four Points Sheraton Bakersfield

I love to travel. In fact, I love the journey as much as the destination, so I'm always talking about flying and hotels and various details that most normal people find almost no interest in. And since, in the coming months, I'll be doing lots of traveling for school and staying in quite a few hotels, I figured I would add a feature to my blog called "How's the Hotel" since my friends always ask me that (since they know one way or the other, I'll probably work it into a conversation anyway!)

My first hotel review will be on the Four Points Sheraton, Bakersfield. It was easy to write because I already wrote a commendation and sent it to the folks at "Corporate" because I feel like hard work should be recognized. As you read it, let me know in the comments if there are other things you want to know so when you are planning your travel, you can check if I've already stayed at the place!! That's right, I'm going to turn my blog into a one-stop shop for all pieces of information that most people don't need! :)

FOUR POINTS SHERATON - BAKERSFIELD, CA
Check-In: A
Room Functionality: A
Bed: A
Bathroom: A-
Grounds/Pool: A
Overall: A
Recommended: ABSOLUTELY!!

I am a SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) Member for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the fact that great hotels like the Four Points in Bakersfield are usually offered for around 4,000 points. I have stayed at this location 3 times now when I have business in Bakersfield - twice with points and once through Priceline for $37 (plus tax, of course). I usually like to write reviews after I have stayed at a place a few times to make sure great service is consistent - at this hotel, it truly is their modus operandi. In a word, I find this hotel STELLAR. While I can't compare it to other hotels in the region, I can compare it to other hotels worldwide and I would recommend it highly and without reservation or condition.

PROS:
1. Front desk: always efficient, courteous, and receptive to needs or wishes. Per my request, I have stayed in the main building every time, in a King room on the 2nd floor somewhere near the main entrance - every time.
2. Room: I have always had a room that smells good, looks fresh, is clean, functional, and pretty large. Nice bedding, good bath products, all the necessities for a business trip (including fridge, microwave and free internet that works well). And even a bottle of water is included.
3. Grounds/Pool: The grounds of the hotel truly are beautiful. They have a creek and waterfalls that, after a hard day, are nice to meander through and let your mind relax. The pool, although too cold to use on my January visit, is awesome in the summer. Large size and well kept, with towels readily available and plenty of places to sit/lay out.

CONS (only one minor!):
1. Desk: The desk in the room is a bit awkward to use because the chair doesn't quite fit due to the armrests and there is a bar near your feet that you will likely bang your leg on a couple times. It definitely looks like a remnant from the 80s. However, it is clean, smooth surfaced and usable.

OVERALL:
If you need a place to stay in Bakersfield, do yourself a favor and choose the Sheraton. And to top it all off, there is an In 'n Out and Starbucks (thank God!) nearby along with a variety of other shopping options.

No comments:

Post a Comment