Friday, December 31, 2010

Grandma's Eulogy

At my grandmother's funeral on Thursday, December 16, we were blessed to celebrate her life with many family and friends at St. Paul Armenian Church. What follows is the sketch of my Eulogy that I had the honor of delivering to our gathered family and friends about my amazing Grandmother. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year - may 2011 bring more joy and happiness to all.

Tribute to Grandma

There are so many lessons learned from my Medz. Most of you knew her as the sweet woman with a kind smile, a stylish hand knit hat, and a cane (honking story) who sang off key and was about 8 notes behind the choir in church. But here are some of the amazing lessons I learned from her and why I lit up with immense joy every time I was with her:

  1. “MEDZ” didn’t talk much
    1. my opinion: she lived in a house with me – nobody can talk much
    2. her opinion: “my time to speak has passed”
    3. LESSON: Talk less, listen more OR just rock in your chair and smile

  1. Dentures aren’t necessarily a bad thing
    1. In the time it took me to brush, floss, gargle and rinse, she had her top and bottom teeth out with the seltzer cleaner and was in bed.
    2. LESSON: Removable teeth are cool.

  1. Diversity is a God-given gift
    1. 5 fingers on your hand are different so why should people be the same?
    2. LESSON: Accept every one. Don’t waste your breath gossiping or fooling yourself to think you are better than others.

  1. It’s ok to let someone chew their food 58 times…even ice cream
    1. I watched and helped my grandma take care of my grandpa. And even when he would chew his ice cream, she stayed calm.
    2. LESSON: patience is a God given virtue. Don’t let anything upset you.

  1. Red Radishes are a dangerous food. Very dangerous
    1. Let’s just say I understood what “diffusion” meant very early in life.
    2. LESSON: Do not eat red radishes before you go on a date.

  1. Grandmas are the best referees ever – they always side with the grandchild
    1. Mother’s Day Card: “Thanks for saying yes all those times mom said no”
    2. “Asor hed mee veejapaneer. Tbrotzuh sorvazeh veejapanootyoon. Kulookh ches gurnar yelal.” Translation: Don't argue with this one (in reference to me). He did debate in school. You can't win!
    3. 2 LESSONS: 1. The “oghlum” (child) is always right. And 2. Choose your battles. You can’t win them all and there are some not worth fighting.

  1. Be wary of anyone who says “No speak English”
    1. Andrea was guaranteed to make Medz smile and she is CONVINCED that Medz understood every single word she heard in English. Confession: it's true - she did!
    2. Gma spoke Spanish, too! Telenovela stories
    3. Some phrases - explain each reference (all in two’s): “Go Astoria?” “Goot, goot.” “Open! Open!” “Cold! Cold!” 
  1.  MY FAVORITE PHRASE: this one didn’t need to be said twice – once was enough:
    1. Me: I love you!! Medz: I love you more!!
    2. Summarize with the Bible verse above the altar: “I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment