Sunday, March 13, 2011

Quickies: Prayers for Japan, Lay Off Notices, Residency Posting

Time for some quickie updates:

1. Prayers to Japan and all those affected by the devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami on Friday. The power of Mother Nature is indeed awe-inspiring and should not be underestimated or disrespected. There are some absolutely startling before and after pictures that the NY Times posted on its website. The link is:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

Also, there are lots of very well-written articles explaining how nuclear energy works to help understand the whole "meltdown" hoopla some in the media are trying to blow out of proportion. I highly recommend you read the article by going to my website for work then scroll down to the bottom of the screen where it says "Science Headlines".

The link to my class website is http://qp.clovisusd.k12.ca.us/cn_artinian

2. Lay Off Notices:
I have been joking about my imminent lay-off for months, but at the moment on Friday when I was actually personally handed the envelope putting me on notice of my imminent lay-off at the end of this school year, I actually got emotional! I was hired as a "Temporary" teacher on a year-long contract (as all new teachers typically are in my district) so this isn't a surprise. I absolutely knew it was coming (State Law requires notice by March 15). And unlike Baltimore where they just put a notice in our teacher mailboxes, I actually met with the Assistant Superintendent for my School area and my Principal in his office, where we discussed options. As I have been saying to anyone who will listen, this District takes care of its people and prides itself on a culture that values its employees. And I love my current job and my colleagues and the awesome environment that has been created at my school for adults and kids. It has been an absolute honor and privilege to work at my school. My lay-off notice, however, does make Quickie #3 below that much more imminent!

3. Residency Posting: 
I find out about Residency very soon. I have suddenly gone from being quite content and calm to having some pretty major butterflies. "Match Day" is the culmination event of 4 years of ridiculously hard work, plus a 5th "bonus" year since I didn't graduate in time to start residency last year.

The Match email will say one of two things:
OPTION 1: Congratulations!! You have been accepted by a program for residency.
OPTION 2: We are sorry, but you have not Matched into a program for residency.

Obviously, I am hopeful for Option 1. Option 1 means I get to relax all week until they send the email a few days later letting me know at which hospital I was accepted to do my Residency. However, Option 2 means I spend the entire week in the "Scramble" - literally scrambling and calling every single program with a listed opening and begging and pleading for a residency position before the week ends.

This coming week will either be an extremely joyful and happy week (affirmative on residency), or one helluva depressing week (no residency AND laid off). Needless to say, my issue is absolutely nothing compared to what our brothers and sisters in Japan are going through right now, so please don't divert your prayers from them!

1 comment:

  1. Thankful that our God is a big God and can hear my prayers for Japan and for you~

    ReplyDelete