Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm a SUB!

It is official! I took my fingerprints at Fresno Unified School District today, snapped my mugshot, turned in all the paperwork, and shook hands with the Sub coordinator!

Last week, I received my official temporary CA State Teaching Credential - I'm not sure why, other than I still love teaching, but I was so excited to be given that credential! It was a super exciting feeling to join the team here in California!

As most of you know, I had the honor of teaching in the Baltimore City Public School System for two years, from 2004-2006, as a Teach for American Corps member. I had the LUCKY honor of being placed at an AMAZING middle school there - Booker T. Washington Middle, teaching 8th grade science. I miss those days quite a bit!! I actually still follow the news about BCPSS schools through the www.baltimoresun.com website - I will always feel connected to those schools. Luckily, there is currently an AMAZING CEO (their version of a Superintendent) who is helping to upgrade the schools and make sure my students who are still going through the system can receive as top-notch an education as possible. I pray for my "Scholars", as I called my kids, every day.

But now, as I said, I'm official in FUSD. Well, I have to wait for my fingerprints to clear, but that won't be a problem. And my first sub assignment is already set as well! I get back from Armenia on July 14, have a day to recover, and will be subbing at Tenaya Middle School on July 16 and 17.

Funny story: several people who helped me as I got my credential and then applied to be a sub were wondering why I wasn't applying to be full-time! In fact, they would read the amazing letter of recommendation my old Asst Principal wrote (thanks Mr. D!!!) and look at me crooked, trying to figure out why only a sub. The short story: I figure I can work a couple days before I go back to school - make some money to pay off the $100,000 plus debt I'm already in! :)

1 comment:

  1. Artford - Should I feed the monster that is Mista A by reading your blog? Sigh. Why not. Glad you're back in the classroom... where you belong. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete