Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

Yes, even Democrats celebrate our nation's birthday!

For those of you who know Andrea, you know that she is full of adventures. It is not possible to hang out with Andrea for even an hour and not find yourself doing something you would not have thought up yourself.

Add her Auntie Karen...and all HER friends...and you are bound to find yourself having way too much fun - without thinking about the consequences (like a lobster sun burn and an intense knowledge about how each of my rotator cuff muscles is affected with each arm movement as I writhe in pain)! Below is a recounting of my most amazing Independence Day Celebration to ring in our country's 232nd birthday.

SCENE: Went to Bass Lake (never been there before) to join Andrea's aunt and all her friends who annually take a trip to the Lake. I can see why - the Lake is absolutely gorgeous, but more importantly, the families that get together for some R&R are truly wonderful people. All of them are Grade A - kind, generous, HILARIOUS, and truly caring.

The day started off innocent enough, with me relaxing on a recliner outside in the cool, clean air. It wasn't long, however, before I found myself on a Jet Ski for the first time in my life. This is something I absolutely wanted to try - and my expert driver, Cousin Blake, was a lot of fun...even when he sped up when he felt that I had lost my grip and was about to fall off...which I did. Thanks, Blake. Not long after, Andrea and I took the Jet Ski for a spin...with me driving. In order to not get Andrea in trouble, I won't mention which aunt she compared my driving to, but let's just say I was so nervous about waves that I would rev up and stop, rev up and stop, rev up and stop. Which meant Andrea kept flying back, then forward; back then forward; back then forward. I finally got the hang of it, kind of. Enough to try a spin, which I did very well, except I revved up before I was totally in the spin, causing Andrea to literally just slip backward. Yup - one minute she was there, the next she was gone. Many thanks to Jack for letting us use his Jet Skis!

We then went in the big boat - all us "adults" - to an area of the Lake that people compared to Lake Havasu - tons of boats parked next to each other, music blaring, everybody partying and having a great time. Indeed, I don't think I have full-on laughed for such a long time, non-stop, as I did yesterday. Between various wisecracks, hilarious stories, and lemons being thrown at each other, it was all I could do not to pee my pants.

But then, THE Question was posed to me by Pam. Now listen - I know well enough to keep my mouth shut about politics when I'm around Andrea and her family, and her friends, and all their friends, and all their friends' friends. Only Grandpa and I agree - and we are called "closet conservatives" anyway. But I digress - I keep my mouth shut and don't mention my political leanings. But then Pam asked THE Question on the boat as we headed back to the cabin - and I couldn't very well lie! She leaped up from her seat as the boat was racing and proceeded to attack me. That's right, ATTACK me - you attacked me, Pam! :) lol. She also called the shower, the wedding, and any other plans she had for "us" off. But in my defense, I was called a "lovable f$#(er" nonetheless. Thanks.

The fun continued - to get back at me for Pam, I was offered to go on this pancake looking floaty thing - you literally hang on for dear life as the boat races in circles with one purpose: get the guy to lose his grip and fall off. One dude, who just graduated (congrats) and is headed to Northern AZ Univ, held on EVERY time. Impressive! I, however, fell off...EVERY time. Without fail. I didn't even last minutes. lol. But it was a lot of fun - being thrown full speed off a pancake is super fun. But see the 2nd paragraph - I now know my rotator muscles (Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Teres minor, Subscapularis) very, very well. Thanks to Tim for some excellent driving.

But finally, what would a July 4th celebration be without an amazing fireworks display. We walked over to one of Andrea's "98!!!!!!!!!!!" friends - Brooke and her family - who had a front row seat to the awesome fireworks show. I met some more awesome people - in fact, I met Uncle Sam himself who played the trumpet to various patriotic songs - ALL the people (and there were a lot because the Lake was packed with boats to see the show) loved his music playing.

Independence Day is a day to celebrate so much. Especially in an election year, we should stand even taller knowing that in our wonderful country, we are able to disagree on politics, on various issues, and feel no threat to our safety. We are one Country, indivisible, for Liberty and Justice for all. Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment