Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mr. Elementary Teacher

For the first time ever, I have taught in an elementary classroom...three times this week! I taught fourth grade on Monday and third grade on Tuesday and Thursday. The first two days I was at a brand new elementary school - it was a beautiful building and had Smart boards and all the technology a teacher could dream of! Today I subbed for Auntie Karole - she also had a Smart board, but they had taken away her computer for whatever reason, so it was back to the overhead - I have blue overhead pen covering my hands to prove it!

Highlights of teaching Elementary school:
1. The kids are ADORABLE!

2. The kids are ADORABLE!

3. The kids are ADOOOOOOORRRRABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So adorable, in fact, that I discovered that even though middle and high school students can't get away with anything when I'm in the classroom, the elementary kids are able to get away with MUCH more with me - I'm kinda a pushover with the little kids. Because they are just soooo darn cute!

4. On Tuesday, several of the kids in the class made me beautiful drawings that I now have with me at home as a keepsake. Middle schoolers NEVER draw anything for the teacher!

5. With the little kids, you end the day feeling like a GOD. You can do no wrong at all! Seriously, the kids think you are a GOD!!! I was even an "amazing basketball player" according to the boys who played on Tuesday. For those of you who have ever seen me "play", you know I can barely dribble and walk at the same time. But not with these kids - I was Shaq!!

6. At least as a substitute who has no accountability for grades and test scores, teaching elementary is like being a camp counselor. I mean, I even taught the kids camp songs and we had a blast doing wacky things normally only done at camp...not school. I felt like I do when I'm spending time with my nephews - Uncle lets them get away with more...because at the end of the day, I get to hand them right back to the regular teacher!

7. One last thing - the kids, are just, ADORABLE!!!!!!!!

1 comment: