Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Getty Center Experience

Let me preface this post by saying this: sometimes really REALLY funny things happen to good people. In my case, I finally figured out the whole bus system and how to get to the Getty Center from Garineh's apartment. I walked just over 1.5 miles from her apartment to the bus stop near UCLA Center, where I took the Metro Rapid Bus # 761. It is an awesome Red bus with that accordion looking thing in the middle and an extension on the back so more passengers fit. It only makes stops every few miles, so it has the feel of an Express bus. And they are all brand new and have TVs in the bus that also show Google Maps so you know when your stop is approaching. So, I was excited - I was looking for the Getty Center / Sepulveda Blvd stop. We got there - and there was the Getty entrance in all its glory - it was an "Angel singing 'aaahhhhhhh' softly" moment as the light shone down on the sign - Getty Center. I took a picture, which I'll upload later. I walked in, started going toward the trams, and was stopped by the gentleman - he was kind, but he pointed out, almost feeling sorry for me, that the Getty Center is CLOSED ON MONDAYS.

Humbug. HUMBUG, I SAY!

So, after all that careful planning, counting of change for the bus, camera preparing, and self primping, I dejectedly walked back to the opposite bus stop, plopped down, and waited for the Big Red Bus to take me back home.

I will say this about the buses: They all ran on time! And they were clean, bright, and airy. In a word, the whole experience was very CONVENIENT! I would take the public transportation again here in LA through nice areas...and I'll check to make sure the places I want to visit are open first.

1 comment: