Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An Authentic UCLA Undergrad Experience

Back in 2000 I made the decision to respectfully decline my admission to UCLA in order to choose Whittier College. And while I will always value the amazing relationships I created, the awesome professors, and the experience of being on a small, community-focused campus, I have confided in some that I didn't feel fully prepared for Medical School. Our Science Department at Whittier, while fantastic and filled with top-notch professors, was small and thus missing in many of the classes that other, larger universities (like, oh I don't know, UCLA maybe) offer. As a result, many of my medical school classes, which were review for my friends from bigger universities, were brand new concepts for me - which made it just slightly more difficult to synthesize all the information into cohesive ideas in my head.

Can't live with regrets. But, last night, courtesy of an awesome person named Keith Teague, I had a little taste of what being a UCLA undergrad entails. Call it "A Day in the Life..." Everyday, thousands of UCLA undergrads start their day, most I found out, no earlier than 10am. Every night, those same undergrads live life to the fullest in the community that is Westwood. What follows are their stories (insert Law and Order gavel sound):

Well, now I have been thinking and since this is a family blog...and some of the family that reads it includes the mother of Keith, let me preface this by saying I hope I don't get Keith into trouble by pointing out some of the scandalous things we did. Sorry Keith, but the truth must be told:

He picked me up at 630pm, we went to the UCLA library to do some reading, he gave me a tour of the campus, I saw his immacuately clean apartment with excellent furnishings, and then we had a very nice dinner, sans alcohol, before going to the opera to catch an evening showing of Torreador. After the show, we met up with some of his friends who have a nightly homework club before going to bed around 11pm.

Thanks for an awesome time at UCLA!!!!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment