Friday, October 10, 2008

Seeing Seattle from the Top!

I'm in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, enjoying the amazing weather (well, a bit cold) and the kindness of the people (they really are very nice). I arrived on time on an AWESOME flight (more on Virgin America Airlines in a future post - suffice it to say now that it is an AWESOME AWESOME AMAZING FANTASTIC FABULOUS AIRLINE!!) And I was greeted at a beautiful airport by my amazing friend from Teach for America Baltimore, Greta. She was an awesome teacher, great person with an easy and infectious laugh, and a really kind person (she opened up her home for me to stay, after all!) Super excited to see her and explore her town!

DAY 1: I explored Downtown, both by bus and on foot. Greta, in her excellent planning, had secured bus day passes for me so I had the most convenient way to travel through Downtown Seattle. The buses are totally efficient and unlike Los Angeles, the bus drivers are very kind and answer questions without a huffy puffy fit. Stop 1 was the Space Needle. I rode the Seattle Monorail (which only tourists use - it kind of is a tourist trap but I figured as a tourist, you have to ride it at least once down its 1 mile path to the Space Needle). At the Space Needle, I had the pleasure of capturing some amazing views from the top and capturing the amazing scale of the thing from the bottom.

I then went to Pike Place Market where they sell anything and everything, including BEAUTIFUL flower arrangements for very cheap and they have a fish market, too. It was a blast to watch them throw the fish back to be prepared or to play with the audience by then throwing a fake one back right into the people. It was just a lot of fun to see a great open air market (luckily covered, though, to protect from the rain that started) where people were all relaxing and browsing the thousands of items for sale.

We ended the day back at Greta's house, where another friend from Teach for America Baltimore who is also now in Seattle met up for dinner. We had a great dinner then great conversation and it was just wonderful to see old friends and relax in this really cool city!

UPDATE: I have added some pictures to some of my recent posts below - feel free to check them out!

2 comments:

  1. Seattle is a pretty place. There are several museums near the space needle... you might want to check into one that interests you! Might be too cold this time of year but the amphibious boat ride was neat...took us thru ocean to locks that lead to the lake! Thanks for the "on the rode again" stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip buddy! An start planning your trip to NY!. Deh yalla, shad oosh munatseer.

    ReplyDelete