Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Kindness of New Yorkers

New Yorkers get a pretty hard rap from just about everyone else in the country. Sure, there are those who are gruff and difficult to deal with. And yes, some times there are occurrences that would be shrugged off elsewhere, especially California, that turn into full-blown shouting matches here in NYC. And YES, there are moments when people mow you down as you pass them.

But hear me out: the SUBWAY, of all places, has displayed some of the outright kindness and generosity of New Yorkers. One example happened to me. A few years ago, I came up with the bright idea to use the subway to get to the airport...despite having two big bags, a roller carry-on, a back pack and a smaller carry-on. YES I KNOW - DUMB! I realized just how dumb when I got to the first staircase and looked with horror at all the steps rising above me. But, every single time, a perfect stranger would pick up one of the big bags and just take it up the steps. They would not look back for a thank you (which would be the understatement of the moment). They would just do it, almost intuitively, knowing that this city is a hard place for all of us to live in, so doing their little part to make it just a little nicer. It was like God sent an angel down at the moment to help me.

There are other examples:
1. Last week, an elderly gentleman was struggling to get up the stairs because the elevator was broken. Two young men who some might have considered trouble by what they were wearing, stood on either side of him and short of lifting him up, basically lifted him up and to the street.

2. Two weeks ago, a young man who was leaving the train at the same exit as me, noticed an elderly lady digging for her metro pass. She couldn't find it the whole time we were climbing the stairs. So, when we got to the turnstyle, the young man just offered to swipe his own card for the lady. She said she wouldn't accept unless he took the $2 fare. He refused, swiped his card and said it was too late, then started walking away. She yelled thank you after him, he smiled, waved his hand, and that was it.

3. Directions - this one is a pretty constant observation. If you ever look confused at a station, especially bigger ones that cater to tourists regularly, count on a local noticing you from a mile away, coming over and offering help/directions/whatever you need to be on your way. It will blow your mind because it is so unexpected. And for those of us who shy away from asking for help or directions, it is again a Godsend.

I'm sure during the rest of my time in NYC, I will see many more examples of the kindness of New Yorkers. I look forward to sharing them with you all as they happen. In the meantime, remember that Thanksgiving is fast approaching, so stock your fridge now and get the best and biggest Turkeys!!

6 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing the examples of humanity in America....we don't hear about it often enough and some may think it doesn't exist. We are a generous and kind people and as you shared, most don't stick around waiting for the thank you. We just try our best to do what is right and when we are the recipient of someone's kindness, most of us show our appreciation by paying it forward. Great stories... THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stories of kindness...I try to instill it into my children everyday. And wouldn't you know that one Mother's Day 2 years ago, my children took all their money down to the florist at the corner and bought flowers and trinkets for me. They made several trips that day because they didn't have enought money so they would go back to find more. Well, when the shop owner asked them what they were doing, she was so moved by their kindness she told them each to pick something for their mommy and they could have it for free. What a sweet lady and what a wonderful thing my children did for me...love ya Hovig :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne - I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kids. They are super cute and definitely display what great parents they have had!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey hovig! don't know you, but love reading ur blog...very interesting post and great reflection on NYC! so rarely heard, but very cool! thanks for pointing it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous from November 21 -

    Wow, people I don't know find my blog interesting enough to read? I'm HONORED and blessed.

    Welcome and thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete