Friday, November 14, 2008

Week 1 of Family Medicine: Done

Well, the first week of my Family Medicine rotation is now complete. I am fortunate to be at a Spanish speaking practice, therefore I'm definitely learning a lot of terms used by patients to describe their pains and troubles - skills that will definitely come in handy when I return to California to start a practice myself!

Some highlights:
1. Most family practice visits are due to things like hypertension (high blood pressure), hyperlipidemia / high cholesterol, general aches and pains, and physicals / well visits.

2. The Doctor is a SUPER nice dude. He graduated from the medical school in Guadalajara, Mexico and is extremely kind and helpful. But the man WORKS us. We are there from 10am until 6 or even 730pm! Quite a long day for a student - because we are expected to go home and study!

3. The cool thing about Family Practice is that there are pediatric patients as well. And I am discovering that nothing makes me happier than a child who smiles at you when you engage them in discussion and work to make their visit as pleasant as possible. Every time a Peds case comes in, I try to snag that folder so I can work with them.

4. Middle aged women love my smile...and do NOT shy away from letting me know. Well, middle aged AND older patients...but females only. I have gotten complimented at least once each day I have been there. It does help the ego.

5. Running a solo practice is difficult - the Doctor was telling us that he barely makes ends meat after expenses. It is safer to enter an established group, like Kaiser, where all expenses are taken care of. HOWEVER, although riskier, opening up your own practice can be more lucrative and more rewarding in some ways. So, he was explaining to us you have to decide - more risk with the potential for more reward or stability with shift work.

On the whole, I am just excited to finally be seeing patients. I am a bit disappointed in how little team work exists in our profession. I know some of you who read this are Ross Med School students - and I love you, but some of your colleagues are just plain rude, unprofessional, and unpleasant to be around. In fact, they are downright nasty and intolerable. But that's ok, because every interaction teaches me something and helps me become a better and stronger person and doctor.

4 comments:

  1. do you know how hard it has been waiting 8 days for a story????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!! Too long - that is why this weekend I will be publishing another post. Like, right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell us more about the ross kids u met? No details if you dont want to though...just interested in hearing about ur experiences

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anonymous - no problem - I will share some of the experiences in a future post. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete