Thursday, January 22, 2009

Foley Catheter - Got It!

In all the momentousness of the past few days, I have been feeling like I'm on cloud nine! But don't worry, I'm still focused on my medical education. Today, I inserted my first Foley Catheter in a patient. This is the one that collects urine from the bladder...that's right, the bag with the Pee Pee you see at the side of a hospital bed sometimes, is connected to a long tube that runs up your ureter into the bladder...and those things don't insert themselves!

I also ran my resident through a checklist for what we should do for an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA). It was an incidental finding on a CT scan of an elderly lady. These sorts of aneurysms in the abdomen are more common in males, but we see them in females as well. For this particular patient, there really is nothing we can do about it other than continue monitoring blood pressure and administering Beta-blockers to try and prevent the aneurysm from growing in size.

No comments:

Post a Comment