Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Quotables: The First Mother-in-Law...and MY Mother

“When you acquire knowledge, you acquire something no one can take away from you."

I have heard this quote so many times from my own mother that when I read it in an article in the New York Times, I felt a chill that somehow the newspaper had interviewed my own mother! Turns out it is our new First Mother-in-Law they are quoting.

Many of you believe I am such an ardent supporter of our new President because of his politics. That is only partly true. Let me admit freely on this blog that there are other reasons. In our new President I see a man who faced challenges head-on, never giving up, including some that are quite similar to my own. No father, a hard-working, independent, amazing mother and grandmother team who have raised us, ambitious and often oversized goals and ideas and vision. Where many see hope only in his politics, myself included and rightfully so, I also see hope in his life and message.

I have never really been the type to look up to people like athletes to find inspiration and role models. I usually find my role models and mentors at my Church or through family. But in President Obama, I see somebody who overcame - and not just on his own, but because of an amazing and supportive parent. I hope to do the same. I pray to do the same. And while I have no ambitions to be President of the USA, I do hope to be the best Pediatrician in Fresno, CA some day, making sure that every child in our great Valley receives quality healthcare, quality education, safe and reliable housing and nutrition, and an equal opportunity to achieve their own goals and ambitions and vision.

Because you see, once I earn my MD - once that knowledge it firmly planted in my head - that is something no man can ever take away from me. Amen to that!

2 comments:

  1. I know you've been waiting to hear from me...

    I just want to welcome you to the United States of America! Established July 4, 1776 by WE THE PEOPLE!

    I'm just so happy you are finally seeing the America I have loved and so proudly been part of for over 29 years! The country my ancestors risked their lives to get to a century ago to fulfill their dreams. The country who has consistently learned from its mistakes but has always encouraged its citizens to reach for the stars.

    Don't misunderstand me...I understand and appreciate the events of Tues. Jan 20, 2009 but I see President Obama as an American, just like the rest of us, who used his God given gifts to achieve his goals in a country that allowed him the freedom to do so!

    To those of you out there who have always played by the rules, always treated others the way you want to be treated, always offered a hand to those in need, always given a pat on the back or a little encouragement when needed, always relied on yourself and your abilities to get ahead, and who have always placed your faith and hope in God, I thank and applaud you and pray you don't get fooled by the man behind the curtain!

    Goodnight and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea,

    No welcome necessary - and I have "seen" the America you love and I have loved it for my entire life as well. I'm neither new to it nor do I need a welcome to it.

    But allow me to welcome YOU back to the America that was indeed founded by WE THE PEOPLE - where the opinions of the citizens matter and actions are not taken on ideological beliefs but rather, based on facts and what is best for our nation...for EVERYONE in our nation.

    I know (sadly) that we will never see eye to eye on this...but hopefully you can agree that the America you see is the same America I see. My joy is your joy and I am just as proud and feel so blessed to be an American just as much as you. Indeed, I agree with what you said about Obama being another American who was able to achieve his American dream because of the freedom we all enjoy.

    But dare I say, many on the other side of the aisle might have been fooled by the man behind the previous curtain. Our new President has already taken the steps to bring some of those secretive curtains down.

    You know you love me.
    God Bless All of Us!

    ReplyDelete