Monday, February 23, 2009

Quickies: Quick Updates On What's Going On


Twitter seems to growing in ubiquity - the web service, which allows users to keep the world updated on what they are doing every minute, seems to be all the rage right now. Even my friend NK over at his blog is using the service now. At some point, I may take the bait - but for now, I'm introducing this new blog feature - "Quickies" - where I will give short update blasts on various events going on. Things that wouldn't necessarily get a full blog post in the past, will get their little space and 15 seconds of fame here.

1. Day Off
Since my hospital is now totally and completely closed down, without any patients, sans doctors, and lacking supplies, I was given today off. Starting tomorrow, I am being moved to Wykoff Medical Center in Brooklyn, which is about a 45 minute commute from my house by subway. I will be there until my current rotation (Internal Medicine) finishes on March 13. I then have a two week hiatus before starting Surgery at Staten Island University Hospital. From my house, that would be about a 2 hour commute - so that's NOT happening...I will be moving to Staten Island and staying with a dear friend who is also doing her rotations at SIUH.

2. Amazing Mac and Cheese
I just had the most amazing - AAAAMMMAAAZING!!!!! - mac 'n cheese EVER last night. A friend made it and I melted right along with the cheese. Just boil some pasta (we used the small shells which were perfect), drain, then add milk and velveeta cheese and let it melt together and let the milk dissolve into the dish. My friend claims the true southern style would also include eggs and some baking of the pasta - but whatever man, it was AMAZING as is! I can't wait to make it for myself...though it should be noted that this is NOT a health food!

3. Biggest Loser
I have been stuck at my weight for the last few weeks. I made it to 224 and I have another weigh-in sometime this week. But it has been frustrating not being able to lose weight as fast as I lost it the first few weeks. But alas, this is to be expected, so if you find yourself in a similar frustrating situation, don't give up!

4. Renaming the No Child Left Behind Act
Congress, rather than making meaningful changes to a law that requires much improvement, is focusing instead on renaming the thing. Great use of time and effort guys - way to go! So here is my contribution: "Don't You Dare Hold Parents Accountable in a Child's Life, Only Blame the Teachers Act". Other ideas?

5. Pondering First Class Flying?
I found this great picture about the recent US Airways Flight 1549 that landed in the Hudson. The flight crew were amazing and deserve all the credit for landing safely and getting the passengers out. But this picture DOES give you another pretty darn good reason to fly first class! (And people who know me, know that I'm always looking for any reason to fly first class!)

3 comments:

  1. do you REALLY need a reason to fly first class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie -

    Personally? HECK NO!!!!

    I only look for various reasons in order to justify to others when they ask me why I flew first class. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to the AMAAAAZING apartment on wall street? Was it the Tiffany's that scared you away???!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete