Monday, April 27, 2009

UPDATE: Favorite Airline - The Answer



UPDATE: Results are in! Many of you responded with some great ideas - I have now included the answers to my Favorite Airline List with some explanations - the results may surprise you!

1. American Airlines
2. Virgin America
3. Southwest
4. Air New Zealand
5. Continental
6. Delta

Surprised? If I guess correct, you are probably most surprised about my favorite airline of all - American Airlines. I must admit, it is a love/hate relationship. I hate that management at the airline has created a hostile place for its employees and that hostility sometimes seeps its way into how they treat us, the travelers. But for almost two decades, AA has reliably brought me home, sometimes even with a smile and kind, welcoming service. None of the other airlines on the list have as many convenient flights to my home airport, and for that, I am grateful to AA for never giving up on my airport. Therefore, the top spot in this list belongs to American. HOWEVER, take note Virgin America or Southwest - you start flying to my home airport and you have a great chance of taking over the top spot.

I also want to note that American's Frequest Flyer Program, "AAdvantage", is awesome! I have found it to be the most flexible with the greatest ease of reward redemption. While in St. Maarten for two years, I flew American Airlines every time, and was able to fly free with reward points almost every time...even first class once!

Most of you guessed that Delta would be last on my list. I want to point out that they are last not because I think they are bad, but because it is right next to impossible to book a reward flight with their SkyMiles Awards program.

After posting, I realized that Air New Zealand didn't really belong on the list - not because I don't like it (I LOVED it and it EASILY could be first on the list - good job 98 on your guess), but because it only offers limited service to very limited destinations that are useful to me.

Finally, many of you put SWA pretty high on the list. It is true that I'm infatuated with the airline - I almost worked for them! But I mostly love how well they treat their employees; in terms of flying them - they offer limited service to my desired airports and quite frankly, I'm not all that excited about non-assigned seating.

Thanks to all of you who participated! I am now convinced that I have at least six faithful readers every week!


The following was the first post from last week inviting you to respond: It has been a while since I have done an interactive feature on my blog. So, in order to see if ANYBODY is actually reading my blog, we are going to do something a little fun today. One of my favorite things EVER is flying. I love airplanes, airlines, airports, airplane food, airplane smell, airport lines. I love everything flying!

Therefore, I have included pictures from some of my favorite airlines above. Hit the comments and rank the airlines in the order you think I like them, from MOST favorite on top to LEAST favorite on the bottom. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what you all think! I will post answers in a few days!

PS: To leave a comment, click on "comments" at the bottom of this post. Then, choose the option that says "Name/URL" or "Anonymous", leave your comment, then click "Publish Your Comment".

7 comments:

  1. Don't worry I am still checking the blog EVERYDAY!!!!! It was hard to look at the gall bladder stuff cuz I am supposed to have mine out...but of late, I have been suffering with Shingles! yuck... They presented themselves on the right side of my forehead and hairline, have advanced to my eyebrow. I am on Valtrex to help limit the progression (I guess)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay my guess for the airline contest:
    1 Virgin
    2 Southwest
    3 Delta
    4 Air New Zealand
    5 Continental
    6 American

    1 and 2 maybe interchangeable but I do remember you being very impressed with Virgin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is:

    1. Virgin
    2. Air New Zealand
    3. Southwest
    4. Delta
    5. American
    6. Continental

    As for me? I don't like to fly, at all, but I would say that my best flight experiences have been with British Airways, Hawaiian Air, and the now-defunct Independence Air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Air New Zealand
    2. Virgin America
    3. Southwest
    4. Continental
    5. American Airlines
    6. Delta

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. SWA
    2. Virgin
    3. Air NZ
    4. American
    5. Continental
    6. Delta

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm bored at work so here it goes..
    1. Southwest- because you love sevs
    2. Virgin America- u like the name
    3. Air New Zealand- as i recall u loved the plane but hated the service
    4. American- name is better than continental
    5. Continental- everybody's better than delta
    6. Delta- because they should be last! i don't think they do a thorough job screening their employees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have NO IDEA but it was fun reading what everybody else thought...Andrea needs to BEHAVE! I was just wondering since you LOVE everything about flying, why aren't you a pilot???

    ReplyDelete