Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lecture on How to Give Lectures


I was invited by the Surgical Program Director at Staten Island University Hospital, an awesome man who puts student learning first, to deliver a lecture today to all the Surgical Resident. The topic? How to Lecture.

Quite the honor! I felt humbled to speak in front of all these super smart people. There were about 30 residents and a handful of Attendings were also present since our M&M Conference (Morbidity and Mortality) was right afterward. Of course, you gotta impress people with a shnazzy title, therefore I called my lecture: "Increasing the Effectiveness of the Lecture Modality of Teaching". Pretty shnazzy, eh?

The highlight of my presentation came after I was done; this room full of amazingly smart people was extremely thankful for the ideas! They thought I was offering absolutely earth-shattering suggestions that will indeed move the Earth off orbit. Little did they know that for all of us teachers out there, this is "Maintaining Sanity in a K-12 Classroom: 101".

Unfortunately, I don't know how to link the PowerPoint to this post. If you want to see the PowerPoint, let me know and I can email it to you. But really, most of what makes any presentation by me tolerable and interesting to listen to, is my goofiness whilst presenting.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I want to receive the email of the presentation cuz maybe I will learn something too...So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd love to know what you said!

    ReplyDelete